I get quite a few questions as to what computer components to get. The list below is intended to serve as a reference guide for anyone that is looking for free advice.
Solid State Drives:
What to Speed up your old computer and bring new life to it? Then consider one of the two options below.
- Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 inch for an older laptop or desktop: Note the various capacities. You can easily replace the standard hard drive in your laptop or desktop by using this one. Need help of have questions, contact us. Stick with Samsung or Intel Drives as they are very reliable.
- Samsung 860 EVO Series for M.2 internal SSD. This will work if your laptop is m.2 compatible is useful if upgrading your current Hard Drive.
- Try the BenQ -eReading LED USB Powered Office Lamp. It may seem pricey but it is worth it. It mounts on top of the monitor and it turns off/on whenever you turn on/off your computer in addition to the its own power option. It also has automatic built-in ambient light sensor and a lot more.
- Gaming Router: ASUS C5300. Pricey but tri-band with larger coverage. Another good gaming option: Asus AC3100.
- Basic Router: TP-Link AC1750 or and the TP-Link N300 Extender
If you are planning to purchase a new computer then here are three recommended specifications you should consider getting:
- Processor: Intel i5 or i7 (Not AMD processors)
- Memory (RAM): 8GB or more
- Hard drive: 256GB Solid State (These run much faster and really help the computer performance). 512GB is recommended if you have a lot of files and video or you could consider File Stream from Google.
- Wireless AC radio
The rest of the specifications are up to you such as the weight and the screen size. Through the years, we have found that most users prefer the lightweight laptops. Sometimes they get a heavy large screen one only later to regret it. Note that if you get a lightweight laptop, you can also get an inexpensive external monitor and have a dual screen option while at your desk.
Most people are really happy with a MacBook if you can afford it. Other recommended vendors are: Dell (the XPS series) or Lenovo (Thinkpad Carbon or Yoga) series. From my experience, HPs and other lesser known brands are not very reliable and the support is not great. Typically with computers, you get what you pay.
Gardening Weed Barrier Heavy Duty
Looking for a premium weed barrier tarp for your garden. Check out the ECOgardener from Amazon. It held out nicely the past year.
Web Hosting Providers
Looking for a fast hosting provider? Consider A2hosting. I have been very happy with them and their services. They also offer 70% off rates @ $2.99/month. And their support is excellent.
Want to create your own tutorials? Use Camtasia by Techsmith. That is what I use for my tutorials.