When doing a fresh installation or setup of Windows 11, you need an Internet connection and have to use a Microsoft account to complete all the steps. Users will be prompted with the following message and there is no easy way to bypass the Windows 11 ‘Let’s connect you to a network’ prompt.
This is unlike previous versions and is obviously not great news for those who either do not have an Internet connection or want to setup their system with a local account instead of a Microsoft one. This scenario existed in Windows 10 Home Edition and there was an easy way around it by simply not connecting to the Internet. Now in Windows 11, it is no longer as easy to setup the operating system without an Internet connection.
Below is a workaround that seems to still be working as of the time of this writing.
Install and setup Windows 11 Home without a network connection or Microsoft account
Advantages of setting up Windows 11 without a network connection
- It allows you to setup a system for a friend or client without needing their Microsoft account.
- It allows you to setup the system if you cannot connect to a network.
- It allows you to install Windows 11 without having to use a Microsoft account
Detailed process for setting up Windows 11 without a network connection
Here is what you need to do:
- Keep the network cable disconnected from your computer or if you are using WIFI do not connect to a WIFI.
- Start the Windows installation or upgrade going through the prompts. See this video on how to do a clean install of Windows 11.
- When prompted with the option “Let’s connect you to a network” press Shift + F10 on your keyboard (in some cases if you have a laptop, you may have to press the FN key too as some computers have other functions assigned by default.
- At the Command Prompt type taskmgr and press Enter as in the snapshot below.
- Click on “More details” option of the task manager.
- Locate and click on “Network Connection Flow” process and then click on End Task.
- As soon as you end the process, note that the setup will prompt you to enter your name.
- Enter your name and password and then press Next. The setup will now proceed without needing to create or use your Microsoft account.
- Follow the next steps.
Video on how to bypass network requirement for Windows 11 Install
Master Windows 11: Become Proficient in Windows 11 – A Free Complete Course
Here is also the longer version:
Step-by-step Guide on Using Windows 11
- Here is the Step-by-step Guide on Using Windows 11
Frequently Asked Questions About Installing Windows 11